By De Sainson from the Atlas to the Voyage of l'Astrolabe, "Tonga-Tabou. Vadodai vient demander la fin des hostilites"
Lithograph by Adam, printed by Lemercier.
Overall frame size;
Width 700mm
Height 580mm
The Astrolabe under the command of Jules-Sébastian-César Dumont d’Urville departed from France on 28 March 1826, returning on 1 April 1829. Amongst other places the voyage took in the western, southern and eastern coasts of Australia (referred to as Nouvelle Hollande), the upper South Island and east coast of New Zealand, Tonga, Fiji, Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea. Just over two months of the expedition were spent in New Zealand, from 10 January 1827 when landfall was made off the West Coast to 19 March when the ship set sail from the Bay of Islands for Tonga.

D’Urville attempted to leave Tonga a day early to foil the likely desertion of a number of his crew. All was going to plan: d’Urville farewelled the many canoes gathered around the boat, settled his debts to Chief Tahofa and sent a small boat to shore to pick up a crew member. On reaching the beach however, the boat was seized and its crew kidnapped. They were hopelessly outnumbered and there was little d’Urville could initially do. This sense of helplessness is conveyed in plate 87 which records the event from the deck of the boat. The calm of the water is contrasted with the violent physical movements of the bodies that edge the shore in the middle distance.

Over the following week d’Urville negotiated with the Tongan chiefs, discovering that Tahofa bore primary responsibility having conspired with the would-be deserters. D’Urville sought to create dissent amongst the chiefs. He ordered his crew to set fire to huts, with the message that as soon as the prisoners were released the conflict would cease. As shown in plate 91 this was done under heavy guard, no doubt for fear of reprisals. With the crew members still not returned d’Urville threatened to bombard the sacred burial site of Maufanga, which he proceeded to do rather unsuccessfully as the Tongans had built huge sand fortifications. Throughout this time, a number of envoys were received including Vadodai, who had befriended one of the crew. He was sympathetic to the Frenchmen’s cause and upset by the actions of Tahofa and his followers. He explained that the chiefs were attempting to return the prisoners and asked for more time. Not long after his visit, the crew were returned with the exception of two whose original intent had been to desert.

Fields marked with an * are required.

What Customers Say

I was very happy with my purchase from Orakei Objet. As the purchase was sent to me, I totally relied on their honesty. It was exactly as described and photographed on their Website. They are thoroughly professional in their dealings. It was packed very well and delivered quickly. I would be very happy to buy again. Many thanks. Gary

G Goldfinch

Orakei Objet is a delightful antique and art store providing excellent collector/stand alone items. The shop interior is thoughtfully organized with new objects to be discovered upon each visit, and the store owner is welcoming as well as helpful. Upon entering the premises, it becomes extremely apparent that they are knowledgeable and passionate in their trade.

Lily Wei

Wonderful new Antique and Interiors store in a really accessible location. Items have clearly been carefully selected by the owner who is a stylist. Such an eclectic range of objects to choose for my new house. Love it!


Search the Orakei Objet website:

  • Monday:
    Saturday: 10am - 4.30pm
    Sunday: 10am - 4.00pm
  • E-mail us
  • 021 029 38268Call us
  • Orakei Bay Village
    236 Orakei Road, Remuera
    Auckland 1050